Friday, July 3, 2009

The one with the creepy delivery guy



Yes the title explains it all. But allow me to explain why I feel so creeped out when I see his face through the peep hole. It has been a series of events leading up to this that has made me wonder if I should boycott UPS all together. I try to give him the benefit of the doubt or chalk it up to him just being friendly. Who knows. You tell me what you think after you've heard the story.

So my first encounter with Gus (not sure of his real name) was about 8 months ago when we ordered a big book shelf for our living room. I had been anticipating its arrival for an eternity. (about a week but I'm really impatient) When I saw the 2 UPS guys walking up to my door I was so excited. My son was sitting in his chair watching a Baby Einstein video when I answered the door. As soon as I opened it I said "YAY, I'm so excited! Come in." I think that was my first mistake. They walked about 3 feet in the apartment and put the book shelf down. The 2nd guy walked straight out the door and waited outside. Gus handed me the thing to sign. I handed it back to him and he just stood there. It was the most awkward couple of seconds in my life. I suddenly realized exactly how close he was standing to me and suddenly felt very uncomfortable and wanted him to leave. He tried to make conversation and I tried to be polite as possible while trying to position myself towards the door so he would get the hint. He walked out the door and STILL tried talking to me. I hardly ever run into any delivery person who isn't in such a hurry to get your signature and leave so I was a little weired out. But they left and I had my book shelf, so I was happy. I made a little comment to my husband that night about the awkwardness and didn't think about it again...until I got another package.

The next time I saw him he was delivering a package that weighed about 2 pounds. When I opened the door he automatically started to walk in to put it down. I stepped right in front of him and took the package and said thank you. All the while thinking, "ya right, I'm not making that mistake again!" Since then he just gives me the package or if it is too heavy I have him put it down and I slide it in the house. Then a few months later he delivered an AC unit (very heavy) which he brought up to the door on a dolly. Thank goodness my husband happened to be home so my husband picked it up and put it in the house. As if to show him who is stronger :) You gotta love how macho guys act and in this case it was pretty entertaining. But while hubby was putting the package to the side Gus poked his head in and looked at me. Was he looking for me? WEIRD!

A few months later I was in the laundry room, doing the obvious and I saw him come to my door. (Our apartment is 20 feet from the laundry room). He walks to the door of the laundry room and hands me the package. I sign and say thank you...and he just stands there. He asked who was having a party (the package was party supplies). I told him my son had a birthday coming up. He stood there and told me all about his family and who has birthdays that month blah, blah, blah. All the while I'm loading up the washing machine and saying things like "oh" and "cool". Finally after the awkward silence he said he'd see me later and left.

Since then I've only seen him one other time. The last package he delivered I was gone but my mother-in-law said he looked very dissappointed when she opened the door and he said, "Oh! I usually see a younger girl answer the door", and look inside.

But this last time was really strange. We ordered some diapers on Amazon. (Can't beat free shipping!) Now I know that UPS drivers will leave a package at the door if they feel like its safe and packages have been left at my door before. So when I saw him through the peep hole holding the box of diapers I stood there ever so quietly and just waited for him to leave them there. But he didn't leave he waited literally a full minute. Then he knocked again. I thought "are you kidding me?" So I stood there quietly and waited another full minute. I'M NOT HOME! LEAVE THE PACKAGE AND GO AWAY! But no. Instead he filled out a sticker to let me know that he stopped by and he'd be back tomorrow. REALLY?! For diapers? C'mon! Any other driver would have left them, I know it. My husband was home today to intercept the creepyness that is Gus but to our surprise (and relief) it was another driver. Who, by the way, knocked one time, set the diapers on the step and walked away, all before hubby could get to the door. HMMMMM?!

Any of you who have creepy delivery people come to you door, trust me, I feel your pain. Anyone who hasn't, consider yourself lucky then watch the movie Cable Guy :)

2 comments:

Molly said...

Creepy! Although my bet is that he just thinks you're a nice person (and super hot) so you're probably the most interesting thing that happens in his mundane day. Even so, you just shouldn't open the door for him anymore. Isn't it amazing how some people just don't seem to recognize "you creep me out now go away" hints??

Dawn said...

Freak! I agree with Molly, don't answer the door when he is there. It's totally not worth it!